A couple of weeks ago, amidst the storm, NuLab quietly dropped SATS testing and 42-day detention, causing some to raise the intriguing possibility of a snap election before things get any worse. The idea has been widely dismissed: surely Gordon's learned his lesson etc etc.
Just in the last three days, we've had the following from ministers:
- prisoners are to have an altogether nastier time
- 'an end to bogus disability claimants' (again)
- 'equal opportunities for whites'
- hate preachers are to be banned (again)
- hints on a 'cap on immigrant numbers'
- a hint that the Heathrow 3rd runway is to be abandoned
OK, maybe just keeping their options open, but it looks kinda like a pattern ...